15 Random Things To Do In Singapore

by - Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Known for its pristine cityscape, impeccable transportation services and harmonious culture diversity, Singapore is a country that keeps evolving throughout the years putting itself on the forefront of the world map. 

You might have noticed for those following me on my Instagram (@nathalie__ale ) that I was there last week and so I thought it was fitting to write about it in a blogpost. There are actually a gazillion things to do in this futuristic country but I am limiting to fifteen in this post - #KeepingItKindaShort - and to be honest I've listed pretty random things to do - #CosWhyNot.  


1. STAY AT YOTEL HOTEL
Yotel Hotel is a new budget friendly four-star hotel located at the center of Singapore's shopping district: Orchard Road. It's overall design and ambiance reminisce of some kind of spaceship with hints of purple neon lighting throughout the space and eccentric modern furniture embellishing the hotel lobby area or should I say mission control - yup that's what they call it there -,  the club lounge on the tenth floor and all six hundred rooms. High-tech gadgets such as self-service check-in screens and robots are put in action to create this cutting-edge atmosphere. Yes you've read it correctly robots. If you need towels or water bottles just ring mission control a.k.a the lobby and they will send you a robot to your floor - well if it's not under maintenance. Witnessing the robot in action was definitely THE highlight of my stay! - #AlwaysAKidAtHeart

2. STROLL ALONG ORCHARD ROAD
In true honesty if you go to Singapore and you've never set foot on Orchard Road then you've never been to Singapore at all. As I've mentioned known as the prime shopping district of the country, strolling along this road whether be it by day or by night there will always be thousands of tourists as well as locals shopping till they be dropping. So if you are feeling spendy then just walk around this road and I'm pretty sure that there will be something catching your attention or should I say your wallet. 

3. EAT HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE
Chicken rice is one of Singapore's national dishes and between us a favorite of mine. If I haven't eaten this dish during my trip I feel that my stay was not complete. You can find this dish in all food courts or as the locals like to say hawker centers. I particularly love to order the set menu as it comes with well the chicken of course, a bowl of rice cooked in the chicken broth, steamed vegetables poured with light soya sauce on it and a bowl of soup or a drink depending on the seller. Honestly the reason why I love this dish so much is because I see it as a comfort food. It's simple yet full of flavor and sometimes that's all our tummy needs. 

4.VISIT THE FULLERTON HOTEL
If by chance you have the time to have a peek at The Fullerton Hotel then do stay there for a while by sipping the country's popular cocktail the Singapore Sling and enjoying the hotel's mesmerizing architecture. If you don't fancy a cocktail The Fullerton Hotel also offer afternoon tea.

5. HAVE SOME FUN AT SENTOSA ISLAND
Looking for something exciting to do during your trip to Singapore then go to Sentosa Island. You can relax by the beach, embark on a Segway tour, experience Singapore's nature, watch fun shows and eat delicious food on the island. There are actually so many activities to do on Sentosa that a tip before going there is to check out the Essential Fun Guide online which list all the recreations you can experience on this man made island. 


6. SPEND A WHOLE DAY AROUND MARINA BAY SANDS
Ever saw a high rise building looking like a boat somewhere online? I am pretty sure the picture of this hotel sounds familiar. Well if you happen to be around the area or even stay a night at the luxurious hotel then you are one lucky person to witness, in my opinion, the more futuristic side of Singapore. 

If you are staying a night at Marina Bay Sands then I would highly recommend that you have a dip in the infinity pool. Go there before sunset to admire the astounding view and oh don't forget to take a picture to commemorate this epic moment. 

Not a guest at the hotel and cannot access the pool? Then just admire Singapore's skyline from Sands Skypark Observation Deck.  Located on the 57th floor, the view from up there is just jaw dropping.  You can purchase your tickets online or at the location. I've done it twice already and loved the experience!

Marina Bay Sands also features a shopping mall called The Shoppes in which you can find a multitude of brands and restaurants. There is some type of man made canal in the shopping mall where you can ride a gondola as well as a big fountain that will definitely catch your eye.

From the shopping mall you can directly access the Art Science Museum where you can enjoy different exhibitions.  These expositions change quite frequently so do have a look beforehand on their website. By the way if you are bringing kids do not be frighten as in my recalling there are always fun activities that are put in place for the little ones - and to be honest also fun for the adults

Are you into giant terrariums? Then do spend a couple of hours at Gardens by the Bay. It's a pretty popular attraction in Singapore so I would highly recommend that you book your tickets online. I myself haven't had the chance to go in but everybody that I've met and have done it love the experience so much!

7.  CLARKE QUAY
Clarke Quay is famous for cute colored houses by the river. During the day you can stroll and admire Singapore's river. By night it becomes alive, as there are bars and nightclubs around the area. But you can also indulge in some amazing Asian delicacies around the quay. Last time I was there I went to a Chinese steamboat restaurant called Upin HotPot and had so much fun as the inhouse performances was entertaining and I have to say the food was also very good. The only problem was that the servers tend to only speak Chinese - which let me tell you lend to a few miscommunication as my Chinese is how you say broken

8. FOOD FEAST AT NEWTON SQUARE HAWKER CENTER
Are you a foodie and love Asian cuisines? Then I highly recommend that you check out Newton Square Hawker Center. This food center is an open-air building with a variety of stalls offering Asian and Western dishes. I would recommend going there at night so that you can enjoy Singapore's night breeze as during midday the heat of the sun will melt your body away. 

9.  BUDGET FRIENDLY SHOPPING AT BUGIS JUNCTION
If you are like me and always on a hunt for budget friendly fashionable goods then I would suggest that you take a look at Bugis Junction. Surrounded by small shops with cute clothes imported from South-East Asian countries you can find pretty unique pieces at an affordable pricing- well if the seller permits you to negotiate with him or her. 

10.  INDOOR MOUNTAIN CLIMBING 
Whilst Singapore is located in a sunny part of the world, time-to-time it rains and during those pouring days I'm sure we all need some kind of activity to combat the gloomy weather. The best thing to do might be staying indoors and drink hot chocolate at Angelina - A Fancy Parisienne Café - but if you are more of a sporty kind of person then I would suggest to do indoor mountain climbing. A couple of years ago I went to Climb Center located in Kallang and was honestly surprised by how crowded and how much fun I had. Yes even with fear of heights I manage to pull myself together and went all the way up - to the non extreme fake mountain thingy one of course - and back down. Pretty sure that I did all the ones that were meant for kids! - Hahaha. Anyways have I overcome my fear of heights? NO! Will I ever do it again? Hmm...Maybe. I mean never say never I did manage to have fun at it.


11. VISIT GUCCI'S NEW FLAGSHIP STORE AT ION ORCHARD
When I went to Singapore last week I totally forgot that Gucci opened a new store last year at Ion shopping mall. It's their first flagship store in Singapore to follow Gucci's creative director Alessandro Michele vision for the Italian luxury brand. As someone who is addicted to fashion I had to lay my eyes on the store's design when I accidentally passed by it. It's honestly everything what I expected to be! Soft pink walls with vintage style marble flooring and colorful periodical and modern furniture that coincide beautifully together whilst encapsulating Gucci's brand identity and lifestyle to the consumer's eye. 

12.  ENJOY SINGAPORE BOTANIC GARDEN
I can't remember exactly when was the last time I went to Singapore's botanical garden. As I write this paragraph it made me realized that I might need to give it a visit in the near future. So if you are someone who loves nature and enjoys long walks then do have a visit. Singapore can definitely feel kind of hectic and fast-paced so if you are looking for something more relaxing to do then Singapore Botanic Garden is the place to be. 

13. ORDER AN OYSTER OMELET AT TANGS
Besides chicken rice my other ultimate Asian dish that I must have in Singapore is an oyster omelet. While you can find it in most of Singapore's food centers I have to admit that the one located at Tangs market has caught my attention that I keep on wanting more.

14. VISIT THE ISTANA 
The Istana is where the Singaporean President's office is located. It is only open to the public annually during Chinese New Year,  Deepavali, Hari Raya Puasa, Labor Day and National Day. I would totally recommend having a visit because the grounds are absolutely breathtaking. I went there a couple of years ago and had so much fun strolling around the different gardens and have to admit that I took way too much pictures! - #InstaMoments.

15. GARDEN HOPPING AT CHANGI SINGAPORE AIRPORT
This is also something that I've haven't done in a while just because I've become that person who always need to rush to the gate before departure. But if you're not like me and have enough time to spend a couple of hours at the Changi Singapore airport then garden hopping might be something just up your alley. The orchid garden and koi pond is located at terminal 2 level 2, the butterfly garden at terminal 3 level 2 and 3 and the sunflower garden is at terminal 2 level 3. 

I hope that my list of fifteen "random" things to do in Singapore may help some of you who are thinking to travel to this little corner of the world and if you need more information on other activities that can be done in Singapore then do have a look on the Visit Singapore's website

You May Also Like

0 comments